Sunday, December 30, 2007

The parrot at home is a female.

I've been living with an unlikeable housepet (in comparison to my previous fluffy and awesomely cute pet rodents) for 23 years; the African Grey parrot. And it has just come to my family's attention that it is actually a 'she'.

Apparently it laid one egg (unfortunately it broke when it fell onto the metal grill base) and viola! Now we know that we have a female parrot in our midst. I just did some research too and here are some interesting facts about the African Grey.

1. One of the most intelligent birds (I knew that...)
2. Great as a pet or companion (I still do not love her)
3. It is a 'Near Threatened' species on the conservation status - primarily the wild ones
4. They have a lifespan of up to 60 years (She was there when I was born..lol)

No comments: